Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Imagination

Mothering is a tough job but someone has to do it. I have been thinking a lot about my role as a mother this week. Must be because of Mothers Day. It is so hard to carve out time every day to do all the things you need to do and the things you WANT to do.
Coopers imagination is growing and developing every day and it is so cool to watch. Yesterday, we were playing trains with blocks and he imagined up an entire scenario where there was a bird train taking the birds to the bird farm. We cared for the animals, figured out what they needed to eat and drink and we even "held" them. This particular interaction with him really touched me. Why? Because I was scurrying around the house, cleaning the bathroom, loading the dish washer, folding laundry, wiping bums and noses, doing the floors, generally cleaning up when I noticed Cooper deep in his imaginative world. (Side note: he plays really well alone and occupies himself quite well) I sat next to him trying to play but not wanting to invade into his private imaginary world, worried I might end the play that was happening. He worked me into the story and I was able to play in his farm. It was really magical, as silly as that sounds, it was. It was a privilege really. I don't know about you, but how often do adults escape off into an imaginary world for hours at a time, a world that is everything your heart desires. It is so easy for children to do this and such a blessing that they do. It really made me think, "Elena, put down the dishes, play with your kids, there will not be railroads running through your living room forever."
Thanks Cooper, for letting me into your special world.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. great post - especially the picture. it shows just how much growth he's had over the last few months. he's looking more and more like a grown man!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...